Looking to get that holiday party ‘just right’? Let Vibrant Table help you plan both menu and décor with some useful tips.
- Incorporate a simple color palette to develop a cohesive look.
- Lighting, lighting, lighting — use candles, lamps, and fireplaces to create that warm, inviting glow.
- Lots of kids? LED candles are worry-free alternatives to traditional votives.
- Ornaments aren’t just for the tree. They can be hung from the ceiling, scattered on a table, or stacked in a glass vase for an inexpensive yet highly effective centerpiece.
- To make a buffet more attractive, serve items at different levels. Stack platters and bowls on stands or pretty boxes. You can even throw a table cloth over some sturdy, but unsightly, cardboard boxes.
- Shot glasses are multi-functional and can usually be found en masse at local thrift stores. Use them as votive holders, miniature flower vases, or single-serving containers for appetizers or desserts.
- Vases and jars convert foods to centerpieces when filled with pretty edibles. Add your favorite holiday candies, punch or snacks. Provide tongs or ladles for service.
- Fruits and vegetables in flower arrangements provide bright infusions of color, appealing textures and are inexpensive alternatives to blooms.
- Nothing’s worse than running out of food, but neither do you want to eat leftovers for a week afterward. We recommend at least 10 appetizers per person for an early evening gathering, where your guests are likely to arrive hungry. For later festivities, 4 to 6 bites will usually do.
- Signature cocktails are fun and can coordinate to your evening’s theme. They can be timely to make in the heat of the moment, so don’t go too complicated, do some prep work ahead of time, or leave a nicely framed recipe for guests to make themselves. Here are our top picks:
BARFLY WITH A TWIST
Try Integrity Absinthe garnished with a sugar cube.
MORE THE CASABLANCA TYPE?
How about a Poinsetta, a premium sparkling wine such as Argyle with pomegranate juice?
FOR THE SWINGER
A martini is a must. We recommend a Winter White Cosmo with Crater Lake Vodka, white cranberry juice, Cointreau and lime.
All images in our inspiration board are of Vibrant Table events. A special gratitude to Evrim Icoz Photography for donating these images:
Christmas trees at The Portland Art Museum
Scrolled vase and candles