Spring has sprung! And fresh vegetables are here to stay. Head down to your local farmers market and grab a handful of asparagus for this delicious spring salad. Whether it is roasted, grilled or even poached, asparagus is the perfect solution for a nutritious and flavorful addition to your meal. This recipe is brought to you by our new Executive Chef, Eric Petrus. Although Eric reigns from Louisiana, he is already learning our Portland ways – put a bird on it!
* * *
- 1 pound asparagus spears
- 4-6 farm eggs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small head frisee lettuce
- 2-3 fresh radishes
- 2 ounces Tumalo Farms Rimrocker Cheese
lemon citronette instructions
- Finely dice the shallot and garlic and add them to a small bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, dijon and honey.
- Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
Poaching the asparagus & eggs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Trim the tough asparagus stalks.
- Blanche the asparagus for two minutes and then arrange on 4 plates.
- Meanwhile bring another 2 quarts of water and vinegar to a simmer.
- Gently crack the eggs into the simmering water and poach for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon. The egg whites should be fully cooked but the yolks runny.
- Slice the root off the Frisee and fluff it up. Thinly slice the radishes. Shave the cheese with a vegetable peeler.
- Blanch the asparagus and then drop the eggs into the simmering water.
- Once the asparagus are ready, place them on four plates.
- Lightly drizzle the asparagus and dress the frisee and radishes with the citronette.
- Place a bouquet of frisee in the middle of the asparagus.
- When the eggs are done, gently place one on each frisee salad.
- Sprinkle with shaved cheese and serve.
* * *
You might also like